Thursday, August 5, 2010

I've heard of Baby Brain, but Bridal Brain too????

Oh my...things are getting busy at Chez Impending Nuptials, with less than a month to go.


JD and I just returned from a 10 day trip down to Texas, to pick up a used scientific instrument for my work. We also made a bit of a scenic roadtrip out of it - using the opportunity to visit/drive through Indianapolis, St. Louis, New Orleans, Galveston, Houston, Dallas, a bit of Oklahoma, Hot Springs and Little Rock - travelling throughout the hiways and scenic byways of the American South and MidWest. Saw bayous and mountains (Ozarks), the Gulf of Mexico, rivers and plains....and many many interesting vistas and people. More about that, and pictures, later on.

I'm glad we did it, though it was a LOTTA driving and felt mostly like one of those "see 10 countries in 7 days" type of tours (except we did all the work).

I'm very upset (since last night) at my brain. I am even more forgetful than usual these days, which means things are getting quite bad. I attribute this and my mental fogginess to "Bridal Brain". Not sure if anyone has come up with this term before, but let me tell you brothers and sisters, it is REAL, as real as Baby Brain.

Here's what happened. Way back...just before our trip, I made a trip to our jewellery store to finalize my wedding ring purchase (JD's was bought last year but we were hemming and hawing on what mine should look like), and I managed to do this without JD in tow, so a perfect opportunity (so I thought) to pick him up a little wedding day surprise from me to him. Said Surprise was tucked into the car in a big ol' Rubbermaid container we keep in the back of Edward the Sparkly Prius to house groceries and other items we want to hide from view. My plan was to drive to work and then remove Said Surprise to my office, to hand off to the Best Man at some future convenient juncture, to give to JD on the Day Of.


But of course, you must know what happened, right? Bridal Brain kicked in and I forgot about it. In my defence, I didn't have an opportunity to sneak it into my office before our big trip and then, well, the trip happened (Edward stayed home 'cos work rented a van for us) and we came back and had to resume our normal (??) lives again, in full-on overdrive and catch-up mode.


Then last night, we were packing Edward with groceries at the store and JD lifts the lid off of the container and says "There's a Birks bag in here?!?". He took one look at my stricken face and says "I didn't see anything", and promptly moves back to the task at hand. Gotta love the man for that, amongst other things! But I was quite crushed, at yet further evidence of my declining mental abilities. Sigh. I guess as long as I still recognize JD at the altar, it can't be that bad....yet.


The Said Surprise is now firmly ensconced in my office and I'm saying a little prayer to please help me remember to pass it on to Michael before September 3rd.

No comments:

Post a Comment