Friday, April 30, 2010

Quick 'n Dirty Post

No, not THAT kind of dirty. Tsk tsk!

Just a quickie (no, not THAT kind of quickie! Really....) before I head home to my cyber-spaceless world for a weekend of tasks, more tasks, JD's b-day, and a funeral for an old family friend. RIP Tante Willy. Your laughter and joy in life echoes in my memories still.

Here's what I've been up to lately:

April Salad A Day challenge has gone well. Most days I did have salad and some days even twice! Like this day (above) - a breakfast spinach-avocado-mango smoothie (AKA Salad in a Glass) in front of my supper (black bean salsa chicken in the slow cooker). And here is lunch for the same day:
My goddess, is that healthy or what?

For my May Challenge, I am going to do the 30 day Shred DVD by Jillian Michaels. I am fully expecting to be hobbling and groaning for at least the first week. Can't wait! (insert dripping sarcasm here)

I bought a new toy...er...kitchen time and money saving appliance this week. (Yes. I can save money by buying stuff. I have that talent. More sarcasm to be inserted here.) Behold:

I finally caved and bought a rice cooker after pondering and researching them for months. I mean, a rice cooker? Why not just use a pot and the stove? I've made perfect rice this way for....for...well, a heck of a long time!!!! This was a tough one for me because, although I love labour and time saving appliances as much as the next gal, they have to be real work horses to justify the expense and the room they take up in the kitchen, in my opinion.

Let me tell you, this lil' baby does everything but knit socks. It cooks porridges, puddings, soups, all kinds of grains (barley etc.), legumes, rice (all kinds - some of which I have never heard of), risottos, it steams (veggies! eggs! fish! chicken!), it slow cooks...it even makes tofu. Which I doubt I will ever do, but never say never. I do like to cook from scratch....but TOFU? I rarely even buy it. Oh well.

This week I made basmati rice at 730 am (to pack into JD's lunch meal), then left it on (Keep Warm function) till supper, and the rice was still hot, tender and fresh at 7 pm. I've also woken up to perfect cinnamon and raisin steel-cut oatmeal. I heart my new rice cooker! The only appliance one would need when travelling...or on a desert island...well, if it had an electrical outlet. Mine even comes with a cute carry handle for "making and taking".

Other news: we have found a wonderful potter to make wedding favours. Wife of a co-worker. Ta-Dah!

I won't tell you which one we picked. Gotta leave something for a surprise.

More stuff next week....gotta run now....have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment