Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Alice Rediscovers Her Mojo And So May We All

March 7 POD

"Johnny Depp: making crazy look hot since....whenever!"


Thanks Caitlin, for that great quote. Khizzie, my belly dance instructor agrees with you. Johnny (and Orlando Bloom) have provided inspiration for many of her classes as she makes us pretend we are mermaids bringing golden coins on our hips to Captain Jack Sparrow's pirate ship. A bit of a Pirates of the Caribbean fetish goin' on with Khizmet, to be sure. A whole lotta fun, but you probably had to be there...
I think he's been making crazy look hot ever since Edward Scissorhands, but I might have missed a character or two before then.

Mizz J and I went to see Alice in Wonderland on Sunday, after treating ourselves to a mani/pedi at the mall. Why is it so hard to find a salon that can consistently do a great job? Last time I went to this place the pedicure was pretty good. Still good this time, but the manicure was dodgy...mostly because the manicurist was rushing to be done with me so she could do a pedicure on a walk-in. And we had booked appointments! Argh. I'm going to stick to pedis from now on. I can do a better manicure and polish on myself.

Anyway, the movie was mostly fantastic. Way better than Avatar. Johnny Depp and Tim Burton are a match made in Heaven, once again. The actress who played Alice, Mia Wasikowska, was quite wonderful, I thought. Mizz J especially liked the fact that Alice was such a strong female character...she didn't start out that way, but became so as the movie progressed. Yes, a pretty decent young female role model for Mizz J, who is in the process of discovering herself and the world!
The Futtenwacken dance scene - what was up with that? It didn't seem to fit into the movie at all. Like it was forced in by some Disney exec for a product tie-in or something or to appeal to some demographic. Music and dance style did not jibe with the time period of the movie. Imagine Micheal Jackson dropped into 19th century England. Just weird.
But overall, a highly enjoyable movie.


4 comments:

  1. I was thinking Edward Scissorhands, but I wasn't sure if there were any before that. That's about as far back as I know. :/

    I think the dance was kinda about "Hey, lookit the neat effects we can do! He's mad, that's how we'll say it fits into the movie"
    Also, obvious crush is obvious.
    I really enjoyed this movie, though. I'll probably buy it when it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Bernal

    This guy is the dancer who did the futtenwacken dance. I don't think any special effects were used, other than to make this guy look like he was Johnny Depp. It IS insane the way he can make his body move, so definitely apropos for the Mad Hatter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't his head and torso spin around independent of the rest of him? I think at least some effects were used in that case.
    Terrible quality bootleg video clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE5sP6lfqvY

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are probably right - I must have missed that part - good reason to see the movie again. I saw a clip of David Bernal dancing (as himself) and although there were no special effects used there, he was pretty much defying the laws of human biology or physics or both.

    ReplyDelete